The first natural reaction as soon as we get that unpleasant burning sensation or pain in our chest is to immediately pop up an antacid pill or take a spoon of antacid liquid or take some other over-the-counter drug. Though these quick fixes do provide us an instant relief, but they never deal with the root cause. All they do is just suppresses your pain or irritation for the time being, on a temporary basis. These drugs actually just kill the symptoms you suffer, but the root cause still remains. This is why that heartburn pain or acid reflux irritation keeps re-occurring. Apart from that, the side-effect of these drugs is far more damaging than the actual ailment itself.
So what we should rather do is understand the root causes of the heartburn and deal with those on a permanent basis. To resolve this issue permanently, we have to cure the root cause of the problem.
Heartburn or acid-reflux can usually be taken care of with few of the simple effective home remedies, few dietary changes and a healthy lifestyle. These remedies help regulate your metabolism, helping your digestive system to function properly, and reducing the risk of heartburn.
Here are few of the most effective home remedies that we can easily introduce into our daily routine and get rid of heartburn naturally. These have worked for centuries and are still very much effective even in today’s complex modern world.
1. Taking half a cup of Aloe-Vera before the meals can give you some good relief from your acid reflux woes. Aloe Vera is highly effective in soothing burns and reducing inflammation. It also heals your gastrointestinal track of all the damage done by the acidic reflux activities.
2. Fennels seeds are also a good natural product that can relief you from your heartburn problems. You can chew it several times a day, as it will help keeping your breath fresh and also control the stomach acid production. You can also drink an herbal tea made of fennel seeds. Just add 2 tsp of fennel seeds into a cup of boiling water and keep it for 10 minutes or so. After that, strain and enjoy this great cup of tea.
3. Mint is a good for calming the burning fire in the stomach because of its soothing properties. Crush few leaves of mint and add it to a cup of water. Leave it for around ½ and hour and drink it 2 3 times day till your heartburn subsides. Adding few holy basil leaves to it makes it even better as it also have many medicinal qualities on its own. You can also try mint tea quite often.
4. Ginger is also a very effective your heartburn problems. Taking a teaspoon full of freshly grated root daily with little honey can be really helpful. You can also add it to your cooked food or use it in root powder or capsule form.
5. Herbal tea with ginger, spearmint and licorice is a pretty good option for your acid reflux problems. Chamomile tea also has many natural antacids that neutralize the acid in your stomach and thus relieving you from the burning reflux. Add 2 tsp of dried chamomile in a cup of boiling water and let it seep for 10 – 15 minutes. Strain and enjoy the drink! The relaxing properties of chamomile also help you to relief stress, which is one of the major contributors in acid reflux and many other health problems.
6. Turmeric is a magnificent herbal remedy for heartburn and many other health issues due to its healing qualities. Take 2 tsp full of turmeric juice and add a little honey to it. Adding Gooseberry (phyllanthus emlica) juice to it will also enhance its healing property to a great extent. Take it regularly before food in empty stomach to keep your acid reflux problems at bay. Turmeric, gooseberry and honey are 3 of the best natural remedies for your heartburn issues. It will regulate your digestive functioning, maintain an healthy acidic level in your stomach and also help in healing and repairing your esophagus wall, damaged by the stomach acidic reflux.
7. Popping up a sugar-free gum after you have your meal and chewing it for around 30-minutes can also help you to put your acidic reflux under control. A recent study shows that people suffering from GERD, or chronic heartburn, experienced quick relief by chewing a gum after their meals. This is because the chewing stimulates the salivary glands and thus releases saliva, which acts as a natural antacid and also clears and washes extra acidic content in the esophagus to the stomach.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) is an effective heartburn remedy as it helps lowering and maintaining the pH level of the stomach content and thereby improving the digestive process. Add 2 tsp of Apple Cedar Vinegar to ¼ cup of water and drink it whenever you experience the heartburn. You can repeat this after every 5 minutes until your burning or irritation subsides. There is little to almost no side-effects of this, so it is a safe and simple remedy. Lemon juice is another alternative and even a better choice than apple cider vinegar, as apart from maintaining a healthy level of pH in your stomach, it also provides you with a lot more of other nutrition than ACV, especially vitamin C. Like ACV, you may have to take more than 1 glass of lemon juice to calm down your reflux, which can get a bit hard at times. Just juice one organic lemon into a glass of water and 1 tsp of honey and drink it. Adding honey is a good idea as it help you sweetens the dosages and also is a great herbal product that helps in heartburn.
9. A teaspoon full of sodium bicarbonate, commonly known as Baking Soda, with a glass of water can help you get some instant relief from the burning sensation of heartburn. Baking soda helps neutralize the stomach acid, thus reducing the damage it does to your esophagus. But be careful of not using this remedy too often, or on a regular basis, as it may cause some side-effects like swelling or nausea.
10. Including natural fermented foods, also called Probiotics like fermented vegetables, fermented milk products (like clabber, yogurt, buttermilk), kefir, fermented soy products can help you by preventing and treating many common health problem, including your heartburn. Probiotics are living micro-organism, which when ingested adequately, provide a lot of health benefits by engaging and neutralizing many of the toxic elements found in our body.
So these are the most common yet effective home remedies for heartburn that I have hand-picked for you through my own personal experiences of trial and error and that have worked for me. Unlike those expensive over-the-counter drugs that come along with a host of side effects, these alternative simple natural treatments are safer, easy to apply and are also very inexpensive. All these ways mentioned above are surefire ways to curing and relieving you from the irritating and painful acid reflux issues, as this takes care of the root causes of your acid reflux or GERD problems, without any side-effects on you.
Along with these, take good care of your diet. You should be well aware of what things you should include in your diet and what you should omit off your regular diet. With a good healthy diet, and a healthy lifestyle, you can cure your heartburn completely and permanently, living a happy reflux-free life.
Here are few videos that will give you some more useful information on preventing or curing heartburn naturally!